Thursday 23 April 2015

Drying Weather

Three sets of wool drying in the sun.
 Busy, busy the last few days getting as much washed and dyed as I could.  Yesterday afternoon very busy as the weather is to break tomorrow so both my saucepans were on the go and my sink filled with wool for washing.  Out on my drying table this morning,    I have washed fleece from Zwantble sheep.  This is a really good quality fleece but sadly it has got badly mixed up in hay and straw so I have to comb it to get rid of as much veggie matter as possible.  Look what a wonderful colour it is,  as black as any fleece could be with just the very tips sun bleached.  The combing works but it is slow and wasteful  if this fleece was clean there would be next to no waste.
The green is pure Wensleydale,  always the slowest to dry.
 The pale purple Wensleydale cross,  really long staple which I will use for felting although it is so soft it could be used for spinning.  I will comb this and sell the combed tops as felting wool and in my felting kits.  the left over bits I will put through the drum carder and use myself for felting

No comments:

Post a Comment