Saturday 22 October 2016

Hand Carding in the Garden

Carding wool is a very dusty job and when I am doing it I have to wear a substantial face mask to protect me from the dust and tiny wool fibres that are in the air.  I feel like someone doing a dangerous scientific experiment and all I am working with is wool!
This afternoon the weather was perfect for doing a few hours in the garden with just enough of a breeze to blow the dust away and not too much so my wool was not flying around the garden.   
This is a lovely grey fleece that I got from a farmer in Skreen.  It is so clean and soft it is a pleasure to work with.  Some of it is heading to Germany next week.
Before I worked with this fleece I carded some Alpaca,  Alpaca is so dusty to work with.  At the moment  I am carding a black fleece and I think that this Alpaca was out in a shower and then had a dust bath before she was shorn the fleece is so dusty that it is almost brown rather than black until I wash it after spinning.

No comments:

Post a Comment